Home Brew USB WiFi Extender – Dozens of New Access Points
GetUSB.info has reported on several off-the-shelf USB extenders, but they are high priced, at least for the home user. If you have low signal strength and on a tight budget, here is a tutorial on making your own beefed up WiFi USB extender.
Using this home-brew WiFi extender will help pick up dozens more hot-spots in your area; don’t believe it – we’ll you’ll just have to try it – this really works. The premise of this solution is taking a parabolic dish and bouncing all possible waves into the focal point of the “dish” or in this case, the WiFi USB stick.
So lets break this down into 3 simple steps.
Step 1: Get the supplies
Step 2: Build it, they will come
- Purchase cooking strainer from Asian food market (must be PARABOLIC)
- Some sort of handle for the strainer makes it easier to work with.
- Mesh of the strainer should be tight and consistent…don’t get loose mesh.
- USB wireless stick
- USB extension cable cord
Step 3: Test and adjust
- Using wire snipers cut a hole in the mesh JUST the size of the USB cable.
- Squeeze the USB cable through the new hole.
- Attach the USB wireless stick to the USB cable and adjust everything so the USB stick is the focal point of the parabola.
- Now, fasten the cord into place, this is where the handle of the strainer comes in handy.
Tips: You can paint the strainer to have it look more in-line with your decor, just don’t use metallic paint.
Attach the strainer to an old lamp or something which has an adjustable stand/arm; that way you can get a more professional look while maintaining the ability to adjust your USB WiFi.
Source: Instructables, these guys are great and have a lot of other unique projects. Definitely worth a visit.
- Find your favorite access point where you have a direct line-of-site.
- Get as far away as possible to dial in the USB wireless stick while pushing the distance limit.
- Use software like NetStumbler to see the signal strength. From here, simply adjust your new wireless USB WiFi extender until you obtain the best signal you want.
- Secure the USB WiFi extender and enjoy!
Tags: pastaio, tokidoki
Administator for GetUSB.info
GetUSB.info started in 2004 with the concept of providing USB information for everything USB related. At the time, USB was gaining momentum and every day new products, articles and news became published. Today, the site is focused on bringing technical information, tricks and hacks to USB related products. The site does publish off topic information as well, to keep the variety up. Please visit the footer area of any page if you or your company is interested in article or product placement via purchased advertising.